Lesson 1 Activity 1 - Wet lab or virtual lab
- Watch a demonstration of a chemical reaction in video.
- Review properties of matter, chemical formulas, signs of a chemical reaction
- Review the chemical reaction that will be modeled in this module
- Check your understanding
Watch a demonstration of a chemical reaction
To see other examples of this chemical reaction, google the terms "copper and silver nitrate reaction."
Review properties of matter, chemical formulas and evidence of a chemical reaction.
- Tell students that creating and using a model of chemical reactions first requires an understanding of the atomic and ionic structures, chemical formulas and evidence of a chemical reaction. (A knowledge of what ionic compounds are and the role of water in separating ions is good to have but not necessary.) In addition, prime the students by telling students that they will learn about ionic compounds and the role of water in separating the ions. Students will identify the essential aspects of chemical structure and properties of matter as it relates to reactivity.
- When teaching, use the slide presentation to focus on one chemical reaction. There is examination of its atomic and ionic nature and states of matter. Chemical concepts to be covered in the slide presentation:
- Physical and chemical properties of matter
- Chemical symbols
- Atoms, ions and ionic compounds
- Ionic compounds in water and aqueous state
- Properties of aqueous solutions
- Signs of a chemical reaction
- Review the properties that are characteristic of the chemical reaction and the conditions under which a chemical reaction will occur.
Chemical reaction overview
- Use the slide presentation to review chemical reactions and computer science concepts.
- Creating and using a model of chemical reactions first requires an
understanding of the different aspects of a chemical reaction.
addition, the following concepts are needed before proceeding and need
to be reviewed in class:
- Writing chemical equations
- Balancing chemical equations
- Limiting reagents
- Chemical and physical properties of silver, copper, silver nitrate and
- Atomic symbols and chemical formulas of reaction in this module
- Introduce the silver nitrate and copper chemical reaction:
2 AgNO3 (aq) + Cu (s) ---> Cu(NO3)2 (aq) + 2 Ag (s)