Lesson 2 Activity 1 - Math Basics
- Review coordinates on a graph; connect coordinate system to Spaceland.
- Create turtles in different quadrants of Spaceland and use new blocks to make turtles move in a specific direction.
Review coordinates on a graph; connect coordinate system to Spaceland.
- Review X and Y axes as horizontal and vertical and review where (0,0) is in Spaceland.
- Demonstrate to students how to set an agent at (0,0)
Create turtles in different quadrants of Spaceland and add new blocks to have the turtles move in a specific direction.
- Add code to the ‘when setup pushed’ block. First you must clear everything that was there before and then add a turtle with specific X and Y coordinates.
- Next, add to the setup code by adding 3 more ‘create 1 turtle’ with new X and Y coordinates.
- You should be able to put a turtle in each of the 4 quadrants using the ‘set my’ blocks.
- Now use the ‘when forever toggled’ block to get your turtles moving in a specific direction on Spaceland. The directions follow 360 degrees like a protractor.
- Get your turtles to all move towards the top of Spaceland.
Complete these short coding challenges that focus on improving your coding skills in StarLogo Nova
- Set 1- Math Concepts- Left/Right degrees & Heading
- Set 2- Math Concepts- X & Y Coordinates and Random
- Set 3- Math Concepts- Heading, Absolute Value & Percent Chance with conditionals
What challenges did you encounter with positioning and moving your turtles? Post your reflection in your portfolio in the section
"Reflections->Computer Modeling and Simulation".